Top > History

History

 The Department of Mathematics was established at the Hakozaki Campus in April 1939 as part of the newly established Faculty of Science, comprising two chairs*1, one for Algebra and Topology and one for Geometry. Initially, the department was for mathematics education at the Faculty of Science, and in 1942, started to accept applications for enrollment.
 The department was steadily expanded, and in May 1976, it laid out a framework of well-balanced pure and applied mathematics courses for both research and education: Pure Mathematics Course comprising five chairs for Algebra, Geometry, Analysis, Functional Analysis and Topology, and Information Mathematics Course comprising four chairs for Mathematical Statistics, Mathematical Programming, Computational Mathematics and the Foundation of Mathematical Science. In that framework, the idea of establishing a "Faculty of Mathematics" that would incorporate the mathematics staff of the Department of Applied Science in the Faculty of Engineering and of the Department of Mathematics in the College of General Education gradually became an important issue within the three departments, and in June 1994, the Graduate School of Mathematics was established as part of the "Strategic Focus on Graduate Schools" at Kyushu University.
 The school comprised chairs*2 for Algebra, Geometry, Analysis, Discrete Mathematics, Mathematical System Science, Nonlinear Mathematical Science, Computational Mathematical Science, and Social Mathematical Science, Computational Mathematical Science and Social Mathematical Science, with introducing three divisions: Rigaku, Kogaku, and Ropponmatsu Divisions. Through the introduction of the "Graduate School-Faculty System" at Kyushu University, the research functions were separated from the educational functions to establish the Faculty of Mathematics in April 2000. In October 2009, The faculty and the school relocated to the new Ito Campus, so as to dissolve the three divisions of the faculty.
 In 2011, about one-third of the faculty staff transferred to the Institute of Mathematics for Industry in April and a small number transferred to the Faculty of Arts and Science in October. At present, the Faculty of Mathematics is responsible for mathematics education at Kyushu University, in cooperation with the mathematics staff of the Institute of Mathematics for Industry and the Faculty of Arts and Science.


*1so-called "small chair" usually comprising one professor, an associate professor, and some research associates
*2so-called "large chair" usually comprising a number of professors, several associate professors, several assistant professors, and some research associates

Chronology (The Department of Mathematics in the Faculty of Science)

April 1939 The Department of Mathematics established with two chairs for Algebra-and-Topology and Geometry.
April 1940 Chair for Mathematical Analysis added.
April 1942 Began accepting applications for enrollment.
July 1943 Chair for Applied Analysis added.
November 1943 Chair for Statistics added.
April 1945 Evacuated to Fukuoka Prefectural Ukiha Technical High School.
Early in 1946 Moved to the site of 48th Infantry Regiment of Imperial Japanese Army at Kurume.
April 1949 Department of Mathematics established within the Graduate School of Science.
April 1950 Returned to the Hakozaki Campus.
April 1962 Chair for Mathematical Programming added.
April 1963 Chair for Computational Mathematics added.
1965 Laid out a framework of two courses: Pure Mathematics Course comprising four chairs for Algebra-and-Topology, Geometry, Analysis, and Applied Analysis, and Statistical Mathematics Course comprising three chairs for Mathematical Statistics, Mathematical Programming, and Computational Mathematics.
April 1974 Chairs for Algebra-and-Topology and Applied Analysis restructured into chairs for Algebra and Functional Analysis.
April 1975 Chair for Topology added to Pure Mathematics Course.
1976 Statistical Mathematics Course renamed Information Mathematics Course.
May 1976 Chair for the Foundations of Mathematical Science added to Information Mathematics Course.
1979 Chair for Topology and all chairs within Information Mathematics Course relocated to the new Faculty of Science 3 Building at the Hakozaki Campus.
April 1994 The Graduate School of Mathematics established to incorporate mathematics staff from the Department of Applied Science in the Faculty of Engineering and from the Department of Mathematics in the College of General Education.

Chronology (The Graduate School / Faculty of Mathematics)

April 1994 The Graduate School of Mathematics established with chairs for Algebra, Geometry, Analysis, Discrete Mathematics, Mathematical System Science, Nonlinear Mathematical Science, Computational Mathematical Science and Social Mathematical Science, with introducing three divisions: Rigaku, Kogaku, and Ropponmatsu.
April 2000 The school restructured into the renewed Graduate School of Mathematics for education and the Faculty of Mathematics for research.
April 2006 Doctoral Course of the school laid out a framework of two courses: Mathematics Course and Functional Mathematics Course.
April 2007 The Department of Mathematics and the Department of Mathematical Sciences established in the faculty.
April 2009 Master's Course of the school laid out a framework of two courses: Mathematics Course and MMA*3 Course.
October 2009 The faculty and the school relocalted to the new Research and Education (Mathematics) Building in the Ito Campus, so as to dissolve the three divisions of the faculty.
October 2015 The faculty and the school again relocated to the new West Zone 1 (General Research (Science)) Building in the Ito Campus.

*3MMA stands for "Master of Mathematics Administration"